Sleep is an extremely important part of our wellness and health. Without good sleep, we cannot work to our full potential. Our body needs the rest it deserves so do you. Yet so few of us get good sleep. Here’s an article that can help you to have a good night’s sleep.
1. Try to sleep for eight hours. It is necessary for our body. If you are really lacking the time, then sleep at least for six hours.
2. Hide the bedroom clock as it causes anxiety. If you are in a habit to look at the clock very often then you lose your concentration and you will not be able to sleep properly.
3. Humans are creatures of habits and we have regular schedules for sleep, work and play. Our body works best with regular schedules. Preferably, go to bed and get up at the same time each day.
4. Try to avoid sleeping or napping during the day. Sometimes this can be a problem in not sleeping well at night.
5. For sleep deprived persons, light exercise, yoga or a walk before going to the bed is helpful for good sleep. If you have this kind of problem, then you can take a short warm bath before going to the bed.
6. The body can barely sleep if the digestion system is working on full furnace. A light meal low of fat and spices is best for your dinner. A glass of warm milk can also help to have a sound sleep.
7. Deep breathing or simply reading a book reduces the brain waves and induces sleep. Soft music can be a better option, though.
8. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and smoking before going to sleep. Sleep, if any, when it comes after ingesting stimulants will be shallow and restless. Do not watch late night TV. This also increases the sleeping problem.
9. The bedroom you sleep in should be suitable dark and silent. The room should not be too warm or too cold, either.
10. The bed should be appropriately comfortable and to be used only for sleeping.
11. Loud noise outside conversations, televisions blaring, traffic noise – can make it difficult to sleep well. When the source of outside noise can’t be eliminated, sometimes it can be masked. A fan or “white noise” machine can help block outside noise. Some people enjoy recordings of soothing sounds such as waves, waterfalls or rain. Earplugs may also help, although you want to make sure they don’t block out important noises like an alarm clock if you use one.